‘I’m a sad girl / I’m a sad girl / I’m a sad girl / I’m a sad girl’
Lana Del Rey has at long last released her highly anticipated new album, Lust for Life. And while she’s flashing a beaming smile on the cover, don’t be deceived – the 16-track record is thick with the singer’s trademark melancholia.
With hit songs including Summertime Sadness and Born to Die, Del Rey has become secured a special place in our hearts with her less-than-enthusiastic attitude to life; deathly themes topped with her hypnotic vocals have helped win her a legion of fans, and have inspired myriad other artists to embrace their sadder sides too. “There’s been a major sonic shift culturally,” she said recently. “I think I had a lot to do with that. I do. I hear a lot of music that sounds like those early records.”
In celebration of Lust For Life, we remember Del Rey’s saddest quotes and lyrics, and revisit our 2015 shoot with the sombre songstress, photographed by Alasdair McLellan and styled by Alister Mackie.
1. “I wish I was dead already.”
2. “Don't make me sad, don't make me cry / Sometimes love is not enough and the road gets tough / I don't know why.” – Born To Die
3. “We had nothing to lose, nothing to gain, nothing we desired anymore / Except to make our lives into a work of art.” – Ride
4. “Dark and lonely, I need somebody to hold me.”
5. “My father’s love was always strong / My mother’s glamour lives on and on / Yet still inside, I felt alone / For reasons unknown to me.” – Old Money
6. “You are what you are, I don’t matter to nobody.” – Terrence Loves You
7. “My mother told me I had a chameleon soul, no moral compass pointing due north, no fixed personality; just an inner indecisiveness that was as wide and as wavering as the ocean.” – Ride
8. “Being human is difficult. Some people make it more difficult than others. I was one of those people.”
9. “And there’s no remedy for memory your face / Like a melody, it won’t lift my head / Your soul is hunting me and telling me / That everything is fine / But I wish I was dead.” – Dark Paradise
10. “I’m a sad girl / I’m a sad girl / I’m a sad girl / I’m a sad girl.” – Sad Girl